How many of us entrust a neighbour or friend with a key to check our property while we are away when we head off on our holidays?
According to latest research, less than half of us leave a spare key with someone, and only 52 per cent leave our holiday contact details. Continue reading
With the long summer holidays just around the corner, there may be a chance to enjoy, rather than dread, a house move with the children around.
Moving home can be stressful enough for the adults, but spare a thought for the younger members of the family, and channel their energy in a positive and helpful way. Continue reading
A welcoming kitchen is one of the major attractions for potential homebuyers – whether it is the family focal point or a singleton’s stylish space.
The kitchen has long been the heart of the home, and according to the National Home Improvement Survey 2013, it is the room that most people would like to improve. Continue reading
A week or two in the sun may be just what you need if you’ve been trying to sell your home lately – but don’t forget to add your estate agent to any pre-packing preparations!
In all the excitement of a long-awaited break it may be easy to overlook a few important tasks to add alongside the ‘ticket, money, passports’ checklist. Continue reading
When it comes to selling your home and moving on, how do you decide what to leave behind? Equally, when you move into a new home – what do you expect the former owners to have left? Continue reading
Whether you are buying or selling, picking your way through the property market can be a challenge – particularly if you are doing it for the first time.
There are so many things to consider from the outset that it is tricky to know where to start. Continue reading
While providers may offer a valuable service, the OFT is concerned that some practices might lead to homeowners receiving much less for their property than it is worth. Any losses could be very high.
The OFT is particularly concerned about the risks to people in financial difficulty – including those who have worked up large amounts of debt or are facing repossession. Consumers at risk may also include those who need to sell their property quickly following a relationship breakdown or the elderly, who might need money to pay for their care.
Practices that would give rise to concern include:
* Unclear fee structures, Continue reading
Unless the lease is renewed – which costs more the shorter the lease is – the value of the home can drop rapidly enough for the owner to fall into negative equity and become trapped in the home because it becomes impossible to get a mortgage on.
Richard Sexton, director of e.surv chartered surveyors, commented: “90% of property in England and Wales is freehold, meaning the homeowner also owns the land. But the remaining 10% is leasehold, where the owner of the property effectively rents the land for a nominal sum. The length of the lease has a direct Continue reading
However, an unsightly or poorly maintained neighbouring property could reduce the price of a home by an average of 13%. If the house next door has an overgrown garden, broken windows, or a rundown car in the drive it could force down the property’s value by an estimated £21,000.
Estate agents are virtually unanimous (98%) in their belief that an unsightly or poorly maintained neighbouring property has a negative impact on the price buyers will pay for a home.
The No1 eyesore next door that drives down property prices is broken or boarded up windows, followed by rubbish and junk in the front Continue reading
The properties most vulnerable to registration or mortgage fraud are usually empty, tenanted or mortgage-free. Individuals at a higher risk of fraud include owners who do not live in the property because they live abroad, are buy to let landlords, are in long term hospital or residential care or where a relationship has broken down.
Examples of property fraud include situations where a buy to let landlord gets a call from a local estate agent saying that one of his rental properties seems to be being marketed for sale or where a relative learns the property has been ‘stolen’ by a fraudster Continue reading