Harrison Murray development director Jackie Scotten said: “While sellers enjoy a well-earned break, their estate agent will continue to work hard on their behalf.
“There are a few steps sellers can take to ensure that there are no missed opportunities when it comes to viewings in their absence.
“Unfortunately, it is a situation estate agents experience time and time again – the seller goes on holiday and forgets to leave a key with the agent for them to show potential buyers the property while they are away.
“This is easily resolved. If you are planning a break this summer, we would advise letting your agent know, and also to put together a simple checklist so that you don’t miss out on that potential sale.”
– Inform your estate agent that you are going away – and above all, leave them a key. There is nothing worse than having to turn away interested viewers because the agent has no access to your home.
– Cut the lawn prior to your departure, weather permitting of course!
– If your refuse bins are due for collection while you are away, ask a neighbour to pull them back from the kerb to a suitable place once emptied.
– Empty household rubbish bins, make sure all work surfaces are clean and tidy, clear out magazine racks, ensure that draining boards and sinks are clear of washing up and the dishwasher is clear of dirty crockery.
– Don’t leave any washing hanging over the radiator or dying flowers in a vase, empty the fruit bowl and generally tidy up throughout the house.
– A couple of strategically placed air fresheners will ensure your home smells sweet, despite windows being closed in your absence.
– Make sure your agent also has a contact number in case they need to call you about that all important offer – even if you are sunning yourself abroad!
Have your say on this story using the comment section below