Home » Organisations » National Landlords Association issues reminder of gas obligations

National Landlords Association issues reminder of gas obligations

The NLA reminds landlords that they are required by law to have all gas appliances which they supply checked every 12 months, and provide the inspection report to the tenant.

Faulty appliances can cause a carbon monoxide (CO) leak. CO is an odourless, colourless and tasteless gas which is highly poisonous and can kill within hours, or cause serious illness through long-term exposure.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness and loss of consciousness.

A carbon monoxide detector can be installed in the property to warn tenants of a leak. They should also be shown where the emergency gas shut off valve is in case of emergency.

Richard Price, Director of Operations, National Landlords Association, said: "It’s vital that a registered gas engineer is always used to carry out any work on gas appliances to ensure it’s done properly.  They can be found on the Gas Safe Register website.

"Always ask to see their identification to ensure they are qualified to do the work you require. Once the work is complete, give a copy of the gas safety record to the tenant and keep one for yourself.

"Ensure your tenant can contact you in case they suspect an appliance is unsafe, or have them contact the gas emergency number on 0800 111 999."

Landlords wishing to purchase a carbon monoxide detector can do so from the NLA Online Shop at http://www.landlords.org.uk/shop

Have your say on this story using the comment section below