There should be quality social and private rented housing available for those who need or choose it. And it should be easy to keep your home warm without harming the environment; British houses are frequently poorly insulated, wasting money and contributing to global warming.
The key Liberal Democrat Manifesto housing points are:
• Make sure that repossession is always the last resort by changing the powers of the courts.
• Bring 250,000 empty homes back into use with cheap loans and grants as part of our job creation plan.
• Begin a national programme to insulate more homes paid for by the savings from lower energy bills.
• Make sure every new home is fully energy efficient by improving building regulations.
• Investigate reforming public sector borrowing requirements to free councils to borrow money against their assets in order to build a new generation of council homes, and allow them to keep all the revenue from these new homes. Over time, we will seek to provide a greater degree of subsidy as resources allow to increase the number of new sustainable homes being built.
• Scrap burdensome Home Information Packs, retaining the requirement for homes to have an energy performance certificate.
Have your say on this story using the comment section below.