This is significantly higher than either the 39% rise in the headline rate of the Retail Price Index, or the 63% growth in average earnings, over the same period.
Key features of the offer are:
* Halifax will pay half (50%) of the first annual council tax bill, up to a maximum of £1000;
* The offer is available on all Halifax Homemover Mortgages and within the FTB Choices range;
* Available from 20 April 2009 until 23 May 2009;
* Council tax will be paid directly to the customer’s local council;
* Three-year fixed rates in Halifax HomeBuyer Mortgages start from 4.15%;
* Available through Halifax directly in branch, online or by phone.
All homemovers can continue to benefit from free purchasing conveyancing when the customer holds a current account with Halifax. This could lead to an average saving of £400.
Jaedon Green, head of mortgage development at Halifax, said: "We are committed to helping make moving easier for both homemovers and first-time buyers. Council tax is one the largest monthly outgoings from a household budget and our new offer has been specifically designed to give a helping hand."
Have your say on this story using the comment section below