Here, the company suggests some simple tips to keep your home trouble-free and energy efficient while you’re away.
1. Turn your boiler off – don’t forget to turn off the water heating control as well as the central heating
2. If you have an ‘intelligent’ fridge (often called an American fridge) put it into ‘holiday’ mode, and don’t forget to do the same with the ice maker
3. If you have a standard fridge, turn the temperature setting to ‘low’. If you’re not opening and shutting the door the temperature will remain constant – do the same with your freezer
4. Locate your stop cock well before your travel date, and remember to turn it off before you leave the house
5. Check that all your windows close and lock properly. If they don’t, call in the experts. Your insurance is likely to be invalid if your doors and windows aren’t properly secured
6. Unplug your appliances (except the fridge!)
7. Put some table or standard lamps on a time switch so lights will go on and off while you’re away
8. Check your drains and clean out any leaves or other debris which may have accumulated
9. Make sure your dustbins are empty
10. Mow the lawn before you go!
Have your say on this story using the comment section below