Home » Letting » Housing associations must note gas safety law change

Housing associations must note gas safety law change

The Gas Safe Register replaces the CORGI gas registration which ended in Great Britain and Isle of Man on 31 March and no longer applies to gas safety law.

Housing associations are being asked to take this into account when selecting engineers to carry out gas safety checks or work on the homes they manage.

All Gas Safe Registered engineers have an ID card complete with unique licence number and photograph which tenants can check before allowing an engineer to enter their home.  If a tenant is any doubt the engineer’s licence number can easily be checked on the website www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or by calling 0800 408 5500. Associations are also reminded to make sure they supply tenants with a copy of the safety check within 28 days of it being carried out or before a tenant moves in.

Clare Miller, TSA Executive Director Governance and Viability said: "This is a very important change in the law and one that we are advising associations to ensure their tenants are fully aware of. Gas safety is a theme which has featured in our National Conversation with tenants.

"To make sure that gas appliances such as boilers, fires, ovens and hobs are installed, maintained and serviced safely, only a Gas Safe Registered engineer should carry out the work. If someone other than a Gas Safe Registered engineer undertakes gas work, they are breaking the law and could put lives at risk."

Housing associations wanting more information on the introduction of the Gas Safe Register can go to www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk

Have your say on this story using the comment section below