Mr Patel pleaded guilty to two charges after replacing a boiler without being competent to do so, and without being Gas Safe registered.
He and his wife both pleaded guilty to another breach of health and safety law for being unable to provide a landlords’ certificate.
Ian Whittles, HSE Inspector said:
“Working with gas supplies is a specialised job and must only be carried out by trained engineers who are members of the Gas Safe Register, to minimise any risk of death or serious injury resulting from gas leaks or explosions.
“As landlords, Mr and Mrs Patel should have made sure that the boiler was properly installed and maintained by someone properly trained and certified to do so. Landlords must also provide proof that boilers have been checked for safety every year.
“It is absolutely unacceptable to take this responsibility lightly, and I encourage all tenants to check that their landlords are doing what they should to ensure their safety.”
Mr Patel pleaded guilty to breaching regulations 3 (1), 3(3), and 36 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £6,000 with £1,800 costs.
Mrs Patel pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 36 (3) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 and was fined £500.
Have your say on this story using the comment section below