Home » Letting » Landlord fined for endangering Tenants

Landlord fined for endangering Tenants

Rotherham Magistrates Court heard that he did not respond to two requests by HSE to get the appliances checked. This resulted in an Improvement Notice being issued on 3 June 2009, requiring Mr Ikram to ensure these appliances were legal.

However, he ignored the notice and when it expired on 16 July 2009 the necessary safety checks still hadn’t been carried out – a breach of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.

Mr Ikram pleaded guilty to breaching the Improvement Notice and also breaching section 36(3)(a) of the 1998 regulations. He was fined £350 and ordered to pay £750 in costs.

After the hearing HSE Inspector Steve Kay said:

“Mr Ikram blatantly disregarded a law designed to protect his tenant from the potentially fatal consequences of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Landlords are legally required to ensure the gas appliances at properties they own are checked and certified at least once a year to ensure they are working properly and safely.

“Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill, and it’s completely unacceptable that Mr Ikram chose to put others at risk – especially as he had ample opportunity to comply with the Improvement Notice. 

 “Today’s prosecution shows that we can and will prosecute landlords who neglect their  health and safety responsibilities, and we hope it serves as a warning to others.”

Have your say on this story using the comment section below.