According to the findings of a study by Santander insurance, Britons spent a staggering £5.2 billon on garden improvements during the summer of 2010 – 2011.
This equates to £1,280 per average British garden lover, with the survey estimating the improvements have added an average of £3,300 to the value of their home as a result.
Whether you have a cosy courtyard or a generous-sized garden – making the most of any outdoor space could also increase your chances of selling.
A few simple and inexpensive tricks will help create a fabulous outdoor room, according to independent estate agents and valuers Harrison Murray.
– Apply the same tidying rules to the garden as the home if preparing for a viewing. Put away any outdoor toys or tools, and throw away any broken pots or planters.
– Spring is the perfect time to show your lawn some tender loving care! Mow the grass and if there are any bare patches, sow some inexpensive grass seed.
– Containers or pots with seasonal plants can brighten up a patio or bare patch in the garden.
– Invest in some garden furniture for those family BBQs or outside entertaining.
– Get the professional look! A quick and easy trick to create a great look is edging. Take a spade and create deeply defined edges around all your trees and flowers beds.
– Lighten things up with some solar powered lights and put out some bird feeders or a bird table to encourage wildlife – the children will love it.
Have your say on this story using the comment section below