Buying a home can be a daunting experience – particular if you are going through the process for the first time or it has been many years since you last moved house.
Knowing the right questions to ask can sometimes be confusing in what,for some, may already be an uncertain process.
However, with some professional advice and top tips from independent estate agents and valuers Harrison Murray, buyers can shed light on issues they need guidance on, never thought of, or dared to ask in the first place!
– What is the position of the sellers? It is vital to know if the sellers are serious or toe-dippers. If they are in a hurry to sell then it may be easier to negotiate with them.
– What’s included in the sale? Through your agent, try and ensure that the sellers have an inventory which sets out their intentions surrounding fixtures and fittings – from curtain poles and carpets to garden ornaments.
– Does the property have its own private drainage, and who will be responsible in the event of environmental damager or spillage onto private land?
– Is the house listed and does it stand in a conservation area? This is important to know if you are planning an extension or even want to paint the outside of the property a particular colour in the future.
– Which way does the house face? It may seem trivial but if you like early morning and evening sun, an east/west facing house might suit – but a south facing garden may appeal more to those with green fingers!
– What’s your legal right of way? Check to see if the house has a shared driveway and what the implications are, as well as where the boundaries of the property lie.
– What are the neighbours like? Visit the property at different times of the day to try and monitor what’s happening at nearby houses – barking dogs or trampolines in the back garden could signal noise!
Harrison Murray head of estate agency Nick Salmon said: “There are so many questions that potential buyers don’t always think about at the time of finding what they feel is the property of their dreams.
“Knowing the true intention of the sellers is paramount, and subsequent answers to a number of questions could avoid the dream property turning into a house of horrors!”
Have your say on this story using the comment section below